You may have heard statements like these before…
• As soon as I have more money…
• As soon as I lose weight…
• As soon as I’m a little older
…then I’ll go for my goal!
When deciding the “perfect time” to go for your goal… you must look out for a sneaky dream-stealer called conditional thinking.
Conditional thinking occurs when you think that something must happen before you go for your goal.
To spot conditional thinking, listen for the words, “if” followed by “then” (may also hear the words “when” followed by “then”). Here are some more specific examples:
• “If my boss wasn’t such a jerk, then I’d enjoy my job.”
• “When I lose 10 pounds, then I’ll buy new clothes.”
• “If only I was younger, then I could start a business.”
• “If only I was older, then I could start a business.”
The problem with conditional thinking is that you become a victim to your thoughts. The only person who can control those thoughts is yourself – not your age, the weather, your friends, your family etc.
You see, the secret to creating what you really want is to declare your dreams based on what you truly want in life…and then managing away the circumstances. The mistake that most people make is that they look at their current circumstances and then whittle down their dreams to fit within those constraints.
So how can you break up conditional thinking?
• The first step is to recognise it is happening and to challenge the statement or belief. Are you really too old to start a business? Mary Kay Ash started her company, Mary Kay Cosmetics, when she was 50 years old! And what a success she is.
• The second step is to take action…even if it’s just one small step in the direction of your goal. Action puts a “stake in the ground” and lets the Universe know that you are serious about achieving that goal.
• And the third step is to reprogram your self-talk. Reframe the conditional thinking into an affirmation that works for you. Instead of saying ““I’m too old to go back to school.” You could say, “I’m a lifelong learner and Im ready to go for my next big dream.” (By the way, if you’re 40 years old today…in 4 years you’re going to be 44. You can either be 44 years old with a college degree or 44 years old without one…time is going to pass either way.)
The perfect time to go for your goal is now…even if it just means taking a small step in the direction of that goal! Learning to recognise and shift conditional thinking is a skill that all kids must learn.
By teaching your kids this skill they will have a much better chance of going for their dreams. If you show them how to set little goals (from any age), show them how to put the work in and they will see that they can achieve those goals. Then they will learn to believe that they can achieve anything with focus and hard work. What better gift could you give them!